The Tribes Basic Online Course provides an opportunity for professional development where time, location, and/or funding is limited. Administrative and teaching staff will have an interactive online opportunity to experience authentic strategies to:
- Develop a positive learning environment in the classroom and school
- Teach students specific collaborative skills for social development
- Establish the Tribes agreements for a new pattern of interaction
- Ask a variety of reflection questions to increase learning
- Apply knowledge of the stages of group development to select appropriate cooperative learning strategies
- Initiate faculty groups for planning, peer coaching and support
The course is designed to engage participants in two interactive platforms; one requires posting written responses on a private class forum page, pertaining to reading and video assignments. The other is a virtual classroom where participants can experience the group development process, various cooperative learning strategies, and reflective practice.
The text, Reaching All by Creating Tribes Learning Communities by Jeanne Gibbs is required reading and course reading assignments will be specific topic pages.
In order to receive credit and/or certification for completion of this course, attendance at online class meetings is mandatory and all assignments must be completed within a specified time frame.
You will need an internet connection (high speed) that will enable you to download video or access YouTube and other media sites. Be familiar with PowerPoint and creating presentations. Audio and video (web cam or camera and microphone) capabilities on your computer are essential.
Sept 5 – Registration for Forum
Sept 7 – Class 1 & 2 Forum assignments posted
Sept 23 – Online meeting for Class 1 & 2 [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]; Class 3 & 4 Forum assignments posted
Oct 5 – Online meeting for Class 3 & 4 [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]; Class 5 & 6 Forum assignments posted
Oct 26 – Online meeting for Class 5 & 6 [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]; Class 7 & 8 Forum assignments posted
Nov 9 – Online meeting for Class 7 & 8 [4 – 6pmPacific Time]